Walk into any drugstore or department store, and you're likely to be overwhelmed by the sheer number of mascaras. And each one promises the same–longer, thicker, darker eyelashes.
So how's a girl to know which ones are worth it and which ones to skip? Here's our pick of five brands that are SheFinds tried, tested, and approved.
1. Chanel Inimitable Mascara ($27.50): Quite frankly, we're blown away. This mascara really lives up to its promise to plump individual lashes without clumping. With a few quick swipes, we were able to add serious drama without serious baggage.
2. Benefit Cosmetics BADgal Mascara ($19): One of our writers swears she was hopelessly devoted to another brand before she ran out one morning and had to turn to a back-up tube she had of Banefit's BADgal Mascara. Three coats later, she converted, and she hasn't re-stocked her old favorite since.
3. Smashbox Focal Point Lash Building Mascara ($18): I found myself in a similar situation recently. I'd left the house in a hurry, thought I'd thrown some mascara and blush in bag, then discovered I'd grabbed a pen, not cosmetics. I ran into Sephora and quickly grabbed a tube of Smashbox's Focal Point. I'd never tried it, but I'd heard enough good to give it a go. And thank goodness I did. This might be my favorite for layering, since it really doesn't seem to get too thick. Just one hint–give this one time to dry. For whatever reason, it seems to smear more easily, so take a couple of seconds before adding eyeliner.
4. Cover Girl Lash Extract ($7): Another SheFinds writer swears she'll never pay for department store brands again after trying Cover Girl Lash Extract. While we wouldn't recommend you give up entirely on the pricer names, we can't resist a great mascara that costs less than our lunch.
5. L'Oreal Feather Lash Softly Sweeping Mascara ($7): Okay, we get it. You've got some bills. So we had to include one more way to get champagne lashes on a beer budget. Enter L'Oreal's Feather Lash, which former SheFinds editor Natasha picked as her personal favorite. As easy on the wallet as it is on the eyes, this mascara does works wonders on thin or short lashes.
Don't see your favorite brand here? Check out the SheFinds Mascara Guide or post your pick in the comments below!