My sister was recently boot shopping and enountered the most unhelpful salesman ever. When she couldn't find boots that comfortably fit over her calves, he told her the only option she had was a mid-calf version or a custom-made taller pair. What?!?! First of all, her calves are simply not that large (she's incredibly fit and wears a size 6), plus I would never, ever recommend that a woman with wider calves make them look larger by cutting them in half with a mid-rise boot.
So this got me to thinking–who does carry the best tall boots for women that want to look fashionable but need a little extra width to do so comfortably? I looked around, and here's what I found.
1) The J.Crew Richmond leather boot (was $345, now $276) combines two elements I absolutely adore this season–a stacked heel and buckle detail–to create a great leather classic that you'll want in your closet for years to come. Available in both regular and extended calf versions, the boot is on sale now at J.Crew.
2) For a refined style that fits in a smaller budget, try the Style&Co. Hailey Extended-Calf boot ($119) at Macy's. Again, you'll get great buckle detailing but this time the heel is a little shorter and a little thinner–the perfect choice for work or play.
3) Although the Seychelles At Last boot ($170) isn't made specifically for a wider calf, the 14" circumference adjusts to fit wider legs as well as thinner ones. We love the of-the-moment flat heel and slate grey color.
4) Even the top designers have versions to fit gals with wider calves. Jessica Biel adores Loeffler Randall (perhaps because she's so athletic herself?), and you will love the Emmy boot ($685) with a 7" wide calf.
5) Remember when Gossip Girl's Blake Lively wore these? Well, they're not just for skinny actresses like her. We think this is a cute way to stay warm, plus the lace-up top will help minimize the size of larger calves. And at only $80, they'll work with almost anyone's budget.