WWD reports that the bright minds at W (those who didn’t get laid off this week, that is) have hatched a plan to revive the struggling fashion magazine. In 2010, they’ll release two themed issues, one of which will be “100 percent shop-able.”
Here’s W‘s brilliant plan:
1. Everything in the book is for sale
2. The reader takes a photo of the page with the item they want
3. They upload it to their computer
4. Then they email it to the magazine
5. Next, the happy shopper receives an email with a link to buy.
If you’re wondering what the folks at W are smoking, so are we. The magazine industry really is behind the times if they think this is an easier way to shop.
Personally, I’d be embarrassed to take a photo of a magazine, even if I was alone. So, let’s take W‘s shopping game for a test run, shall we? Here are two magazine-worthy items we love, a gorgeous cheetah print sheath by Tory Burch and a luscious faux fur jacket from Lauren by Ralph Lauren. Will you be whipping out your camera to take a snapshot of your computer screen? Somehow we think not.