SHEfinds Editors Spill Their Beauty Bags
We did a quick poll around the SHEfinds office to find out what everyone was carrying in their purses – and the results were shocking. Okay, there weren’t any handguns or pornography in there–so I guess it wasn’t THAT shocking, but we were still surprised to see who among us was carrying a back-breaking amount of cosmetics, and who had a light-as-a-feather stash of just lip balm and the basics. (This is actually a very fun office activity, if you and your female co-workers are looking for something to do around the 3 o’clock slump.)
I, for one, carry around a small pharmacy in a heavy, (but extremely stylish!) Tory Burch cosmetics case. Our senior editor Justine keeps her “survival kit” in a TSA-ready zip lock bag–the true definition of a jetsetter. Our graphic design intern Jenna wowed the crowd with her stash of hair ties – genius! More than one of us had printed band-aids on hand (thank you, Cynthia Rowley!), while we pretty much all carried some form of lip balm, oil-absorbing sheets, gum and hand sanitizer (you can never be too careful with New York City surfaces).
We took inventory of the most–and least–useful items, and created the ultimate list of beauty bag must-haves. Follow this list and you’ll have everything you could possibly need while on-the-go, and nothing more:
- Tili bags – We love these reusable zip & seal bags. They come in cute patterns and are great for storing everything from lipstick to loose change. You’ll never have to worry about a product spilling in your purse again. Plus, the bags won’t weigh you down. Get yours here ($8.49).
- Nail file – A must-have in case of a dreaded hang nail.
- Mascara – A fresh coat of mascara can make you eyes look bigger in a seconds. We love Noir G by Guerlain because the tube has a built in mirror ($50).
- Hand sanitizer – No one wants to get sick. These mini hand sanitizers by Bath & Body Works ($1.75) smell great and keep germs at bay.
- Lip balm – Chapped lips are painful and unattractive. We recommend Kiehl’s Lip Balm #1 ($7) for smooth lips no matter where you are.
- Lip gloss – Throw your favorite lip gloss or lipstick in your makeup bag. A fun lip color will instantly brighten up your face and pull together your look.
- Compact – A necessity for beauty on-the-go.
- Headache & cold medicine – These convient Advil travel packets ($13) are perfect for your purse. Don’t forget cold medicine tablets, like DayQuil, in case you come down with an unexpected cough or runny nose.
- Hand lotion – Sanitizers and soaps can dry out your hands. Make your skin soft again with L’Occitane Shea Butter Hand Cream ($10).
- Tissues – Because sniffling is gross. These are also great for makeup touch ups.
- Band-Aids – For paper cuts and other emergencies. We also recommend these handy Neosporin packets ($40).
- Concealer – Your foundation can fade over the course of the day. Always carry a concealer stick for touchups. Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer ($7.99) is great for covering up under eye circles and other spots.
- Floss – Just in case you get something unsightly stuck in your teeth. It will also help freshen your breath.
- Hair tie – Have a hair tie on hand in case your hair is misbehaving. These are also great to have if you want to try out a different hairstyle later in the day.
- Perfume sample – Sick of all those perfume samples? Throw one in your purse. The tiny samples are lightweight and perfect for when you are out and want to freshen up.
- Blotting sheets – These instantly soak up excess oil and remove shine from your face, without smudging makeup. Try Clean & Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets ($5.49).