When I found out I was having a girl, I was thrilled. Ecstatic, actually. I guess I’m pretty girly, so I was beyond happy that I’d have a little mini me to shop for and get mani/pedis with. Given how much fun I have with my daughter, it really shocked me to find out most parents would actually choose to have a son over a daughter.
It’s true. According a recent Gallop poll, 40% of adults would prefer a boy, while only 28% would prefer a girl. (The other respondents had no preference.)
I have to admit, I’m really surprised. I always hear moms with sons complain there are no cute boys’ clothes and how rambunctious and out of control they get as toddlers. I know girls probably become more problematic as teens, but I wouldn’t exactly say having a teenage boy is a cake-walk, so what gives? Why do so many adults prefer boys over girls?
I don’t have a son, so I have no actual grounds for making a comparison. I actually think I’d fall into the category of respondents with no preference, but I feel like I have to make a case for baby girls. So here are just 10 reasons why having a girl is actually really awesome.
1. Pee pee teepees? I’m sorry, what? Baby boys are infamous for surprising their parents during diaper changes with urine to the face. Fortunately if you have a little girl, you never have to invest in pee pee teepees.
2. You’ll spend less on diapers. That’s right, girls tend to potty train earlier than boys, which means you can stop buying diapers and pull-ups earlier. And any mom who has ever spent $40 on a box of diapers knows just how major this is.
4. I can walk around naked. Yes, I know I could theoretically walk around in the nude if I had a son, but the truth is I wouldn’t.
5. My daughter is more obsessed with babies than cars or video games. And this is good for me because I know way more about babies than I do about cars or video games.
6. I can shop ’til I drop. Because I simply justify all those major purchases by telling myself I’ll save them for my little girl and then she’ll have “vintage” as a teenager.
7. She listens! And I’m not just making this up. According to real scientific research, girls actually prefer the sound of human voices and become more engaged when someone’s speaking.
8. Pending I don’t mess things up over the next 18 years or so, she’ll have my back when I’m older. Daughters are more likely than sons to take in elderly parents, so as long as I play my cards right I won’t end up in a shady nursing home when I’m senior citizen.
9. She’s more likely to go to college. Okay, maybe that’s a stretch, but girls make up about 57% of the student body at American colleges and universities. And not only do more girls attend college than boys–more girls than boys actually graduate, too.
10. Full disclosure: this is gross. But one of the funniest part of Bridesmaids was when Rita–mom of 3 boys–said how awful it was living with all men because they, well, masturbated, everywhere. For this alone, I am thanking my lucky stars I got a girl.
What about you? Do you have a preference for boys or girls? Share your opinion in the comments.
Sign up for our newsletter to get even more finds delivered right to your inbox.
Click here to email Jeanine, the author of this post.