We’re so excited about our book WEAR THIS NOW: Your Style Solution for Every Season and Any Occasion, published by Harlequin. And since we can’t wait for you to check it out in print at your nearest bookstore (next week!), we’re presenting our favorite bits to keep you stylishly satisfied. The average woman spends a whopping two years of her life standing in front of her closet, wondering why she can’t find a single thing to wear, so our book is a reference to keep on hand during those epic closet stares.
Here’s an excerpt, especially for you, on our five fashion commandments to live by.
- The right fit always flatters. Impeccably tailored pieces look expensive, no matter what they cost. If you have time to learn how to hem and sew, go for it—if not, strike a deal with your tailor or dry cleaner to fix some of your existing clothes in bulk.
- Style and trends are not mutually exclusive. As long as you know what works for you, you’ll always be chic—don’t feel pressure to incorporate of-the-moment trends into your look if they’re not you, or try them in non-threatening increments, like in your jewelry and accessories.
- When in doubt, buy a dress. Think about it: you’re more likely to wear a new dress than, say, a new pair of shorts and a top that can be mixed and matched. Dresses make more of a statement, and are super easy to throw on.
- Your personal style is your calling card. Celebrities and designers alike have admitted to sticking to a “uniform” of the styles that flatter their own body. Don’t be afraid by the connotation: this is not your grade school wool jumper we’re talking about. Your signature look is what sets you apart from the rest.
- Shop often, buy sparingly. If you know what’s out there and see that pieces are marked down every day, you’ll be less tempted to buy immediately, leaving room for the stuff you actually want and ending up with only the best in your wardrobe.
Get more insider tips from WEAR THIS NOW, by SHEfinds Founder and CEO Michelle Madhok and SHEfinds Senior Editor, Eileen Conlan.