You're Doing It Wrong: Curling Your Eyelashes
July 9, 2013
People tend to skip out on curling their eyelashes when doing their makeup because eyelash curlers look somewhat scary (an ex-boyfriend once told me they looked like a torture device). Plus, most people view it as a pointless extra step in their beauty routine. But taking the time to curl your eyelashes makes a huge difference. Curled eyelashes instantly make your eyes look wider and brighter. They also make your mascara look 10x more awesome. Here’s the easiest way to curl your eyelashes (it takes less than 30 seconds!):
- Curl your lashes after applying eyeshadow and eyeliner, but before applying mascara.
- Place your upper lashes inside the mouth of the eyelash curler.
- Pinch the eyelash curler at the base of your lashes, but don’t pull. Hold for 3 seconds.
- While your upper lashes are still lightly held in the curler, rotate your hand so that the curler is inverted.
- Keeping the the curler upside down, pinch you lashes again. Hold for 3 seconds.
- Remove the curler and apply mascara!
Never, ever curl your eyelashes while you have your mascara on. Not only will this make your mascara look clumpy, but it can also rip out your lashes–and you don’t want to be forced to wear falsies everyday. For a perfect curl, I recommend the shu uemura eyelash curler ($20). It’s a high quality eyelash curler that will work on all eye shapes.