Mixing Up Your Nightlife Clothing (Or: How Not To Look Like A Bottle Girl)
February 10, 2012
Ever walk into a nightclub and realize you’re wearing the same thing as every girl there (including the wait staff)? We’ve got a serious pattern problem going on here: bandage dress, bandage skirt, LBD, and repeat.
I’m as guilty as the next girl (and the next, and the next … and who could tell us apart) — it’s head to toe black almost every night, with a cream or white top if I’m feeling risky.
But no longer! I voiced my concerns to David Giullemette, head merchant at Rent the Runway, and he shared a great idea for how to solve the “shampoo effect” of nightlife clothing:
A great alternative to the LBD and Bandage dresses for spring is a flowy silk shift with a sleeve, cut to a mini length. There’s a ’60s mod feeling in fashion for spring so it’s the perfect time to wear this shape, not to mention the fact that its great for dancing! I’d pair with colored platform sandals and bold modern jewelry.
With David’s advice as a great starting point, I’m breaking out of my neutral-toned shell. Follow my lead with these new rules for spring:
- Try some color: For God’s sake. Is this your version of nightlife camouflage?
- No LBDs: Sorry, but it’s true. The LBD as clubwear is played out like a Black Eyed Peas song.
- No bandage dresses: Two words: Sausage. Casing. (I will make an exception if you are Miranda Kerr).
- Try ankle boots or (if you’re tall) flat boots instead of stilettos: Have you ever been out in the Meatpacking District? Then you know what I’m talking about.
- Statement jewelry: A bold accessory is a great way to mix up an otherwise-basic outfit — you can get away with all black clothing if you wear a crazy chain necklace on top.
- Test out a jumpsuit or romper: These onesies aren’t for everyone, but they are great going-out duds (or so I hear). They certainly make it easy to put an outfit together.
- Patterned shorts or colored denim: Really, anything to replace a black skirt or pants is a good move. There’s no reason your bottom half should get left out of the party!