Work desks are like snowflakes because no two are alike. Personally, I like to keep my desk very clean and organized so that I know where everything is and it looks presentable in my office. Desks really show off your personality, too. You can easily tell if someone is messy, organized, artsy, etc. just by taking a glance at what’s sitting on their desk. Even though everyone’s desks are different, there are certain items that we should have at arms reach. Besides the obvious, here are twevle items everyone needs on their desk.
1. Organizers. I’m talking a pen cup, paper tray, etc. The key to an efficient workspace is organization. If you can’t find what you’re looking for then you won’t be productive.
2. Sticky notes. Start off your day writing down all the things you need to complete. Also, use sticky notes to label important documents or leave reminders for yourself. These are a must-have!
3. Photos. It’s nice to have a little reminder of your loved ones while you’re at work. A picture of your partner, children, pets, etc. can instantly put a smile on your face, so if you are having a bad day or feel stressed just take a glance at your pictures.
4. Phone charger. Let’s be real, everyone uses their phone while at work. Keep a spare phone charger at your desk for when your battery runs low. Tip for commuters: charge your phone before your journey home!
5. Personal hygiene products. Designate a drawer in your desk for personal hygiene products. Think dental floss, toothbrush/toothpaste, deodorant, perfume, tampons, etc. It’s better to be prepared and have these things on hand.
6. Water bottle. It’s way cheaper to have a reusable water bottle than buying a new one every time you’re thirsty. Here at SHEfinds, we are huge fans of bkr water bottles because they are stylish and made of glass, which are better to drink from than plastic.
7. Hand lotion/sanitizer. Keep your favorite hand lotion on your desk so you never have dry hands. Also, have hand sanitizer available in case you can’t wash your hands before eating or touching your face because our keyboards can be dirtier than a toilet. Yuck.
8. An extra sweater. Most offices are super cold and usually the thermostat can’t be controlled by employees. If you tend to get cold, store an extra cardigan or scarf at your desk. On the other hand, if you are usually hot then buy yourself a mini USB fan that plugs right into your computer. I bought one for myself this summer and it was one of the best purchases I’ve made.
OPOLAR Mini USB Table Desk Personal Fan ($12.99, down from $24)
9. Headphones. Chances are your co-workers don’t want to listen to your music all day long. Keep a spare pair of headphones at your desk so you have them when you want to zone out.
10. Snacks and utensils. Keep some granola bars, nuts or hard candies in your drawer for when you need a quick pick-me-up. Plastic utensils are a must-have so you can just toss them out when you’re done.
11. First-aid supplies. Hey, you never know.
12. Lint roller. Don’t show up to an important meeting covered with lint and stray pieces of hair. Keep yourself looking professional and tidy with a mini lint roller. You can even go a step further and store a Tide To Go pen!
What do you keep at your desk?
[Photo: Waiting on Martha]