Admit it: you’ll do anything to achieve come hither eyes, complete with the longest, lushest eyelashes of your life. But an eyelash curler can only do so much–especially if you were born with sparse, straight eyelashes that rebel against your every attempt to plump them up.
Luckily, Angela Kim of Korean e-comm shop InsiderBeauty has the ultimate solution for ladies who need a little help in the lash department. It involves fire, but take my word for it–it’s totally worth it. Kim curls her eyelashes with a hot Q-tip and swears this method is one that has been proven effective for years in Korea–and she is now graciously sharing her secret with us.
“This Q-tip trick works much more effectively than a traditional eyelash curler because you’re able to gently apply strokes of heat to your lashes which helps them curl better,” Kim says. “The staying power of this trick is amazing as well.”
Here’s a simple step-by-step guide on how to curl your lashes with a Q-tip.
1. Use your eyelash curler. Don’t throw out your eyelash curler just yet–you’ll still need it to kick start the process of amping up your lashes. Curl your lashes and then add two coats of your favorite mascara. Kim’s current favorite includes Maybelline’s Pumped Up! Colossal Volum’ Express. “Shiseido also makes great mascaras for thin Asian lashes without making them look too spidery,” Kim says. “They add volume and length while still maintaining a natural look.”
2. Grab a Q-tip. Grab a Q-tip that has a wooden stick. This is very important–do NOT use a plastic Q-tip. Peel off the cotton ball from one side and, using a lighter, move the Q-tip stick back and forth over the fire for about five seconds. If you mess up and burn the stick, start over with a new one.
3. Test the Q-tip. Don’t just apply the Q-tip to your eye without testing it on your arm first–the results could be disastrous.
4. Apply to your eye. Here’s how: Close your eye and roll the warm Q-tip over your eyelashes, from root to tip. For the best curl, press down lightly against your eyelid. Repeat this process about five times. An added benefit is that your mascara may wind up looking even more natural as the heat removes any clumps.
5. Apply more mascara. Your lashes should be beautifully curled by now, which means it’s time to re-apply two coats of your favorite mascara.
Easy breezy, right? And not as scary as the word “fire” led you to believe. Happy lash curling!
For more beauty tips, check out 7 curling wands with outstanding reviews and 5 ways to make your eyelashes longer–without Latisse.