If Kim Kardashian is gracious enough to dole out beauty advice, I am going to listen. The beauty maven is seldom seen without impeccable makeup and perfectly glossy, not-a-chip-in-sight nails. How does she do it? Was she genetically programmed to regenerate polish to cover up teeny flaws in her manicure? Or is there a nail polish she relies on to help her look so put-together and gorgeous?
Kardashian recently revealed on her website that Londontown Lakur in Cheerio–a sheer beige-pink that instantly makes your fingers look longer and more elegant–is one of her favorite nail polish shades. With that little tidbit, we knew it was time to find out everything we possibly could about the cool brand and what makes it so special.
Katharine Pape, Londontown’s public relations manager, explained why the British brand, isn’t just a trendy choice–it’s a health-conscious one, too.
SHEfinds: What is it about Lakur that you feel makes it’s a stand ut among other nail polishes on the market?
Katharine Pape: LONDONTOWN is 9-Free, taking out more toxic chemicals than any other nail polish brand on the market today. Below are the ingredients that LONDONTOWN takes out:
1. Formaldehyde Free. Formaldehyde is a known carcinogen that is linked to asthma, neurotoxicity and developmental toxicity.
2. Camphor Free. Camphor quickly absorbs into the nails and has been implicated in fetal and neonatal death when it crosses the placenta.
3. Toluene Free. Toluene is considered a hazardous waste by the EPA and can cause drowsiness, headaches, dizziness, memory loss and troubles with vision and hearing. Toluene is known to cause asthma, reproductive problems and chromosomal aberrations.
4. Paraben Free. Parabens cause skin sensitivities and contact allergies and certain parabens have been found in the breast tissue of women diagnosed with breast cancer.
5. DBP (Di-Butyl Pthalate) & Phthalate Free. DBP and phthalates have been linked to fertility problems, cancer and child deformities
6. Formaldehyde Resin/Tosylamide Free. These chemicals are known to cause contact dermatitis.
7. Xylene Free. Xylene depresses the central nervous system and can cause skin, eye, nose and throat irritation, memory problems, gastro-intestinal discomfort and potentially kidney and liver effects.
8. Ethyl Tosylamide. This chemical has been banned in Europe because of its antibiotic properties and concerns over antibiotic resistance.
9. Lead. Lead is a known carcinogen that is toxic by ingestion, inhalation and skin absorption and can cause skin and eye irritation as well as blood and central nervous system effects.
Equally important to what we take out is what we put in. LONDONTOWN’s proprietary Florium Complex includes healing vitamins and botanicals such as lavender, coconut, iron and Vitamin B6.
SF: It seems like you value the health of nails as much as their appearance. Which products in your line do you recommend to help strengthen nails and what are the effective ingredients that help them work?
KP: Definitely. Your nails only look as good as how healthy they are. Before introducing polish, LONDONTOWN launched with our Kur collection which is a 5-step system to strengthen the nail. All of these products work together to strengthen your nails from within, encourage growth and prevent cracking and splitting. Below are products we recommend:
1. Strengthen with Nail Hardener. This sets a strong base to fortify nails and hydrate with natural oils and extracts including Cucumber Extract for its high silica content, Vitamin A to help absorb and process protein efficiently, and iron to strengthen the nail bed.
2. Protect with Protective Top Coat. UV protective Top Coat blocks the sun’s damaging rays and provides a quick dry, ultra glossy finish that seals in essential nutrients such as such as Evening Primrose Oil, Chamomile and Vitamin E to increase blood circulation for nail growth.
3. Nourish with Nourishing Cuticle Oil. This oil hydrates and replenishes the cuticle to allow for proper protection and support healthy function of the nail matrix. Cracked and damaged cuticles allow chemicals and bacteria to damage the matrix and eventually the nail.
4. Hydrate with Restorative Nail Cream. This cream restores deteriorated nail protein from daily exposure to chemicals and outside elements, providing deep hydration to repair weak, brittle nails.
5. Remove with Strengthening Lakur Remover. Our acetone-free remover lifts away polish without stripping the nails’ natural oils and and effects of the kur treatments.
SF: How would you describe your color collection?
KP: Our colors are very luxurious and highly pigmented with a mix of timeless colors and fun, edgy shades. They are designed to work with our base and top coat for long-lasting, high shine finish.
SF: What are some of your best-selling shades?
KP: Cheerio, Londoner Love (bright red), Changing of the Guards (deep, sexy red), Reverse the Charges (gorgeous turquoise/aqua), Beau of the City (bright, peacock blue), and Save the Queen (subtle eggplant).
SF: Do you have plans to sell LONDONTOWN Lakur in Sephora or Ulta?
KP: Right now we are sold online and in high end salons, boutiques and specialty stores. We would definitely consider it when the timing is right!
Visit LONDONTOWN’s website to get your hands on their brilliant colors and nail-healthy products.