We’re never quite sure when to switch bags. The end of February? Middle of March? Black leather can seem too severe for springtime, but when it’s still cold enough for cashmere we can’t very well walk around with a flower-adorned canvas tote. Gray bags are an elegant solution to the when-to-transition question: they match winter neutrals, look sophisticated next to brighter springtime fare, and won’t clash with patterned pieces. Below are our top 5 favorite smoky bags that'll beat boring black any day of the week.
1. The Francesco Basia Magda Tote ($425) has just the right number of thoughtful details to keep things interesting without overdoing it: a hint of fringe, metallic leather trim and a touch of geometric hardware.
2. In a rich shade that’s suitable for evening, the Seven For All Mankind Napa Clutch ($225) can be carried as a wristlet or a clutch.
3. Evoking the season’s modern hippy trend, this cinched handbag ($58) has a slightly longer strap and a slouchy design.
4. The luxe Fendi Chef Tote Bag ($1,360) keeps details to a minimum, with contrast stitching and a gathered leather design. The result is an uncluttered, graceful all-day-every-day handbag.
5. This leather satchel ($225) has narrow straps that let you comfortably shoulder the roomy bag’s wider main compartment.