Test Your Dunkin' Donuts Knowledge With These 10 Fun Facts
July 20, 2015
In addition to (and in competition with) Starbucks, Dunkin’ Donuts is one of America’s most popular coffee shops. I’m not a huge coffee drinker, but I actually prefer Dunkin’ coffee over Starbucks. Dunkin’ is always keeping things fresh by adding new items to their menus, like cookie flavored coffee and limited-edition donuts. Just when you think you might know everything about DD, here are ten fun facts that might surprise you.
1. On average, Dunkin’ Donuts sells more than 30 cups of coffee every second. Woah.
2. The original name was Open Kettle, a donut restaurant opened by Bill Rosenberg in 1948. In 1950, the name Dunkin’ Donuts came into play.
3. When DD first opened, coffee sold for 10 cents a cup!
4. Beloved Munchkins were added to the menu in 1972 and muffins were added six years later in 1978.
5. Dunkin’ Donuts is the first national brand to sell espresso drinks with Fair-Trade Certified espresso beans. On that note, about 2,000 beans go into making one pound of Dunkin’ coffee.
6. DD sells about 1.7 billion cups of iced and hot coffee each year.
7. Bagels weren’t added to the menu until 1996, followed by breakfast sandwiches in 1997.
8. The now famous slogan “America Runs on Dunkin'” didn’t come about until 2006.
9. There are more than 10,000 Dunkin’ Donuts stores across 38 US states and 32 countries.
10. Dunkin’ coffee experts taste about 200 cups of coffee a day. Talk about a caffeine high…