There’s something so chic and effortlessly cool about this season’s wet hair trend–especially when you pair it with the fanciest dress or outfit in your closet, a la Kim Kardashian. But, no matter how captivating the I-woke-up-like-this look is, the cold-hard truth is no, you can’t achieve this hair simply by washing it and walking out the door. Attempt that kind of madness and you’ll only be rewarded with dry, frizzy locks a few hours later.
That’s why we enlisted the help of Ruth Roche, global artistic ambassador for Pureology Serious Colour Care, to set us straight on the path to the wet hair look we’re all coveting this fall. Here are Roche’s 6 steps to achieving Kim Kardashian’s sexy wet hair look.
1. Think damp, not wet. “After shampooing, squeeze out excess water with a towel,” Roche says. “You want your hair to be damp, not sopping wet.”
2. Fight frizz. Frizz is the number one enemy you’ll want to combat when going with wet hair look. “Apply a frizz control product that has a little hold, like Pureology Style + Care Infusion Smooth Perfection,” Roche says. “For long hair, separate hair into 3 sections (top, middle and bottom) and apply a dime-sized amount to the bottom third and run fingers through. Drop down the middle section and do the same, and then the top, apply to the ends first then the roots. This prevents you from getting too much product in the front or at the roots.”
3. Style properly. “Using a wide tooth comb, comb hair back and away from the face and create a side part,” Roche says. “Place hand at the crown and push the top forward, creating a wave at the front.”
4. Leave wavy hair alone. “If your hair is naturally wavy, allow it to dry completely without touching it,” Roche says. “Once it is dry you can tip your head to one side, gather hair and scrunch it back towards your head. Repeat on the other side. This will make it fuller without disturbing the wet look.”
5. Give straight hair a boost. The goal is to achieve a slight wave and texture in your hair–too straight and your hair risks looking like a curtain. “If your hair is straight, tip head to one side and scrunch occasionally as it is drying to encourage more wave,” Roche says. “Do not run your fingers through it. Repeat this technique occasionally as it dries, until completely dry.”
6. Don’t forget the finishing touch. Don’t neglect the finishing touches that will keep your look fresh from morning until night. “Finish with a shine spray or flexible hair spray like Pureology Strengthening Control Zero Dulling Hairspray,” Roche says.
Follow me at @lisacfogarty on Twitter.
[Photo: Splash News]
SHEfinds receives commissions for purchases made through the links in this post.