Britain’s The Daily Telegraph reports that there is actually a woman in London who has made her walk more fun for the past 35 years, never stepping a foot outside her home in anything other than Manolo Blahniks. Although this might seem like a rare case of designer shoe fetishism, it is more than likely a vice that many other women share. Inspired by our growing intrigue with shoe-aholics, we polled you readers to find out just how many pairs of shoes you all keep in your closets. Over fifty percent of the people who answered the poll had more than 30 pairs. With shows like Sex and the City out there educating us all on how to be chic and fabulous, it is also very likely that many of these addicts have paid over $400 a pop for many of the pieces in their Carrie-worthy collections.
Let’s get one thing straight: We are not here to judge. But you know, considering that you probably only wear about two or three pairs of those shoes on rotation, we thought maybe we’d help you streamline a little bit. So, what is the magic number, just how many shoes should we have in our closets? Well, after taking into consideration every possible circumstance, I believe that I have come up with a reasonable answer: Twelve.
There is no shame in spending a large amount of money on your shoes if you are investing in the right ones. So let’s talk shop:
1. We’ll begin with the perfect Patent Leather Mary Janes ($555). If you could only buy one pair of Manolos, that should be the pair. They are perfect for that big interview, important business presentation, or the celebratory night out when you’ve landed the job.
2. For the typical workday, it is probably good to have a nice round-toe set of kitten heel pumps that will be comfortable and stylish.
3. Everyone should have a great pair of knee-high boots. They look good with skirts or jeans, and are just perfect for a leisurely Sunday stroll.
4. Booties are more than just a trend–they have definite wardrobe staple potential.
5. A sexy evening stiletto. Having one in a metallic is an added bonus because they will go with everything and even transcend seasons. Wear them on New Year's Eve or to a Hampton’s 4th of July pool party.
6. Summer style is so effortless and fun. Throw on a great pair of basket weave wedges with a sundress or cocktail shorts.
7. You can take the girl out of the warm weather, but you can’t seem to get her out of her Havianas ($20).
8. Ballet flats. Classic. Comfortable. Necessary.
9. There will be rain, so don’t risk ruining your designer favorites. Get some designer water resistance instead. Burberry checked rainboots always look fab ($170).
10. Keep a little cozy on standby for the wintry weather. Crocheted UGG®s should do the trick ($120).
11. You should always try to fit a good workout into your busy day, so no girl should be without a good pair of athletic sneaks (especially ones that are iPod compatible).
12. Some casual kicks should round out your collection nicely. Throw on a pair while running errands or when traveling.